Top 5 Best Segway HoverboardsCompare the specifications of our top 5 best segway hoverboards in our comparison table below.
Ride around with ease and comfort by using a segway hoverboard that drives around on two wheels just by using the motion of your feet. They can be taken anywhere as they are fairly light and portable. Here are 5 of the best models.
|Available Colours||Black / Blue / Bright Red / Dark Red / Green / Blue||Black / Red / Blue / White||White||Red / Blue||Black / White|
|Max. Speed||15 km/h||15 km/h||10 km/h||9.5 km/h||8 km/h|
|Mileage||16 km||20 - 30 km||15 km||115 minutes||12.8 km|
|Weight Limit||260 lbs||260 lbs||220 lbs||220 lbs||N/A|
|Battery||Samsung 36V Rechargeable Lithium||N/A||N/A||36V Rechargeable Lithium||Samsung Rechargeble 36V, 3.9AH|
|Weight||25 lbs||25 lbs||24 lbs||28 lbs||28.6 lbs|
|Price||**CHECK PRICE**||**CHECK PRICE**||**CHECK PRICE**||**CHECK PRICE**||**CHECK PRICE**|
Our Rating – This is based on our own research in product testing and user feedback. Clicking on each product takes you to Amazon’s product page where you can read customer reviews on the product you’re interested in.
Best Value / Top Rated / Top Specs / Best Choice – Products that we consider to excel in a certain area such as value for money, reputation or technology have been given one of our aforementioned labels of recognition.
What is a Segway Hoverboard and What is its Purpose?
One of the latest modern gadgets to hit the Technology market today is the Segway Hoverboard which is a fun and efficient way to get around instead of using public transport. It is based on the normal segways but without the handlebars or a steering device which you may find odd at first as you ‘float’ on this hoverboard.
The Segway Hoverboard easily gets you from point A to point B in less than half the time it would take you to walk. This gadget works based on the subtle pressure from your feet and body which acts as the ‘steering device’. With each movement you make, the hoverboard responds accordingly and travels in the direction you desire to.
Some people find this awkward when they first step on but it is remarkably easy to use. It can take anything from 5 minutes to an hour to perfectly master the Segway Hoverboard.
As the Segway Hoverboard is an electronic device, it is battery powered with a mains plug for charging. A full charge will take up to 8 hours and can take you up to 30km but even with a single 3 hour charge, this will still last you a good 10 to 12 miles. The battery indicator is located in the middle of the hoverboard.
The device is shaped like an hourglass when stood upright on one wheel. It consists of two rubber tires with alloy wheels, a platform with rubber touch sensor pads where each foot goes, LED lights in front and the charging port and power button is at the back. You will see there is a stability light next to the battery indicator.
When deciding on which model to purchase, there are some factors to take into consideration. These include:
- Tyres – Make sure you get a Segway Hoverboard that has solid rubber tires as this is sturdier.
- Keylock – To enable you to lock your board to prevent unauthorized use.
- Sleep Function – Automatically turns the hoverboard off if the sensors are off and if the hoverboard is not in use after a few minutes.
It is best to use the hoverboard on a smooth terrain as a rough terrain will damage your hoverboard. It can be used on slight inclines as well. There is also the risk of falling on rough terrain if the wheels run over a deep pothole or a rough bump.
Guide to Using a Segway Hoverboard
If you are using this for the first time, test it out indoors first and make sure there is nothing in your way. Also have a buddy ready for support, if not, use the wall for support.
- Step 1: Turn the power button on at the back of the hoverboard. With the help of your support, step on with one foot and position it evenly over the rubber sensors. The LED light under that foot will come on. Then step on with your other foot. Both LED lights should be on now.
TIP: Try to get the stance right when you are on as it will be harder to do this when moving. It helps if your feet are against the edge of either wheel.
- Step 2: Let go of your support, the stability light will come on as the board repositions and locks according to your bodyweight.
TIP: Avoid flailing your arms about as this will throw the Segway Hoverboard’s sensors off.
- Step 3: Start moving by pressing your toes down slightly which should take you forward and then relax your toes. You will continue to move forward at a moderate speed. If you want to go faster, keep your toes pressed down until you reach the desired speed.
TIP: Keep your body upright and relaxed at all times. There is no need to lean your body in the direction of travel.
- Step 4: To turn left, press the toes down in your left foot only. To turn right, press the toes down in your right foot only.
TIP: To spin the hoverboard around, keep your toes pressed down in one foot.
- Step 5: For travelling backwards, slowing down or stopping, press your heels down slightly and the hoverboard will slow down but wait until it stops before you get off. Once it has stopped, get off one foot at a time behind the board.
On your first go, you will probably feel unsteady without the typical handlebars or a steering device to hold on to but soon it will feel natural. Many people tend to get used to it within 10 minutes.
Don’t worry about falling off or crashing into people as the maximum speed will typically be 15km/h so it is very safe to use. However, it is important to bear in mind that the hoverboard will not be able to go over curbs so do not attempt this otherwise you will risk injury and also damage your board.
Just a short video giving an overview of a segway hoverboard.
The Benefits of a Segway Hoverboard
- Noiseless – The motor in this hoverboard is silent so it will not cause any disturbances which other traditional methods of non-public transportations such as electric bicycles and scooters tend to do.
- Smooth gliding system – For a smooth and comfortable ride. It is also ideal for filming on the go. Walking and filming tends to give that ‘bounce’ in videos which won’t happen with this board.
- Energy efficient – It is powered by electric which is environmentally friendly and saves energy. It also has an auto power off function.
- Portable – Most hoverboards weigh between 23 to 27lbs which is quite light and can easily be carried due to its hourglass shape. A Segway Hoverboard bag can also be purchased to protect your board and with the strap, it makes it easier to carry.
Although the price of a Segway Hoverboard is pretty pricey, it is a transportation gadget of the future for walkers. The benefits of investing in one should be enough to convince you as it will end up saving you money, energy and time. The only downside is that it can only carry yourself!